The Pubs of Brampton
On my bookcase in the studio was the flyer above. It was written by John Hirst, one of the founder members of Brampton Brewery and for a while I've been thinking of contacting John to see if we could reprint it. Whilst cycling home through Somersall Park I bumped into John (not literally) and stopped to chat.
The following pages contain v2 of 'Lost Pubs of Brampton', now just 'Pubs of Brampton' it takes a look at the Brampton Mile and briefly covers the history of each of the establishments along Chatsworth Road.
For those of you that know little of the Brampton Mile it will be an eye opener, for those who remember some of the pubs listed, a trip down memory lane.
A massive thanks go out to John for allowing us to print the list, for updating it and amending the map (shown below).
Please feel free to find a table in a local pub, get a drink and take a read.
Furnace Inn (Goytside) Originally a beerhouse. Rebuilt during 1920. In February 1924 the full licence from the Packers Row Vaults in Chesterfield was transferred to the pub. The name was changed to the Out of Town in 1991, however it closed in 1992. The pub reopened in 1993 as the Unicorn Tavern, a free house selling Federation Ales from Newcastle. In summer 1999 beer supply changed to Mansfield beers. The pub finally closed in the summer of 2010, and is now used as accommodation.
Masons Arms (Chatsworth Road) Originally a beerhouse, owned by Truswell’s brewery, Sheffield. A full licence was transferred to the pub in 1917 from the Bulls Head in the Shambles (also Truswell’s), leaving the Bulls Head to close. After many years as a Stones house, the pub was sold to the Kimberley Brewery in April 1991. After a period of closure, it re-opened in November 2016 as the Junction.
Royal Oak (Chatsworth Road) Leased to the Brampton Brewery in 1869, and was eventually purchased by them in 1897, including three shops. A full licence was granted in 1950. After periods of closure, the pub re-opened in 2019 as the Spotted Frog.
Griffin (Old) (Wheatbridge Road) Bought by the Brampton Brewery prior to 1898 together with 5 cottages, which were demolished in 1925 when the pub was enlarged. It closed in 1977, the site becoming part of Robinsons works. The building has been demolished.
Butchers Arms (Wheatbridge Road) Leased to Brampton Brewery in 1896 for 10 years, bought by the brewery when the lease ran out. Closed in December 1907, under the Compensation Act of 1904. Compensation paid was £1,088 to the brewery and £120 compensation to the landlord. The pub adjoined the Griffin, with both pubs belonging to the same brewery it's probable that, after closure, it was incorporated into one.
Bold Rodney (Wheatbridge Road) Bought by Thos. Rawsons Brewery of Sheffield. After their take over in 1946 it became a Gilmours house, until they, in turn, were taken over by Tetley’s. It closed March 1987, re-opening later the same year as Ziggy’s fun bar, which only survived until 1988 when it closed again. It later re-opened later in the year as Dino’s Restaurant, but changed to the present Dynasty Chinese Restaurant late 1994.
Half Moon (Chatsworth Road) Originally called the New Moon, until around 1872. The pub was at one time leased to the Brampton Brewery, but eventually bought by Wm Stones Ltd. Major structural alterations were completed in 1906, and again in 1917. A full licence was granted in 1952. The pub closed in the early 1970’s, but was not demolished until recently, now replaced by housing accommodation.
Durham Ox (Chatsworth Road) Bought by the Brampton Brewery, together with 4 cottages. Alterations in 1914 brought about the demolition of the cottages. When a full licence was granted in 1953, Arthur Driver had been the licensee for 32 years. In February 1957 the Police referred the pub for closure under the Compensation Act. Although the exact closure date is not known, it was purchased in October that year by Wheeler Electrical Supplies and opened as an electrical showroom in March 1958. The building was originally demolished for the erection of a filling station, the site is now occupied by a retail shopping complex.
Alma Inn (Chatsworth Road) Leased to the Scarsdale Brewery in 1872, by the turn of the century it was leased to Tennants of Sheffield. Sold at auction in July 1920 for £4,325 to the Brampton Brewery, together with 2 cottages on Chatsworth Road and 2 on Alma Street. A full licence was granted in 1951. After being tied to John Smiths for many years, it is now a free house.
Grouse Inn (Chatsworth Road) A beerhouse in 1862, when the landlord was also a roof slater. By 1869 a full licence had been granted. Around this date the pub was leased to the Brampton Brewery, but was eventually bought by Wm Stones brewery of Sheffield. Major alterations took place in 1924. In 1956 further alterations were carried out to form a central bar, although this has now been opened out to create a ‘u’ shaped room. Changed name summer 2022, to Dizzy Duck.
New Inn (Chatsworth Road) In 1869, was a beerhouse owned by the landlord, John Knowles. The pub was eventually bought by Wm Stones Ltd. A full licence was granted in 1952. The pub was sold to the Kimberley Brewery of Nottingham in April 1991. Later sold as a free house re-opening as Sweeney’s in October 1998. The pub was closed briefly for a re-fit in 2002, re-opening December with its original name of New Inn. The pub had several periods of closure, before it was bought by Everards brewery of Leicester giving the new Brampton Brewery their second pub under the ‘Project William’ scheme, which gave micro-breweries a chance to have their own tied house. After an extensive re-fit the pub re-opened in December 2010 as the Tramway Tavern.
Barrel Inn (Chatsworth Road) Was in existence in 1822 when the area was known as Welshpool. Acquired by Brampton Brewery in 1899 when it was exchanged with its original owners, Strettons Derby Brewery Ltd, for a Brampton Brewery pub at Cotmanhay. Rebuilt in 1915 together with the adjoining shop. Examples of the brewery trade mark can be seen in the windows and on a fireplace. A painting of the original pub can be seen on the glass of an internal window.
Red Lion (Chatsworth Road) In the middle 1800’s Samuel Gregory was landlord, for around 30 years. He was sole agent in the area for Reid & Co’s London Porter. Plans for rebuilding were approved in 1920 when it belonged to Wm Stones Ltd. After a long period of closure, the pub re-opened as the Crafty Dog, in March 2018.
Anchor Inn (Factory Street) Bought by the Chesterfield Brewery Co in 1869, for £1,200. Plans were passed to rebuild the pub in 1920. Became a Mansfield Brewery house in 1935, when they bought out Chesterfield Brewery.
Hat & Feathers (Factory Street) In 1889 was leased to Wm Stones Ltd, who were to become its owners. The pub was referred under the Compensation Act, when it was reported that ‘the pub was very small and badly lit, requiring a lamp to be burned for most of the day’. The pub was ordered to close on 22nd December 1919. The building was bought and used by Plowright Brothers, eventually being demolished for inclusion into a factory extension.
Castle Inn (Beaver Place) Bought by Brampton Brewery in 1897, with 3 adjoining cottages. Enlarged into two of the cottages in 1914, the remaining one being demolished. In March 1938 its licence renewal was objected to on the grounds that the pub was too large for the community it served. Trade was 2.5 barrels a week (720 pints); the licensee also worked at a local colliery. It was overshadowed by Plowright Brothers 'erecting shop', which made its four licensed rooms very dark. The licence was renewed on condition that further improvements were carried out. A Full licence was granted in 1951. The pub closed in the early 1960’s and was demolished together with the rest of Beaver Place, the site becoming part of Robinsons works.
Brampton Mile (Chatsworth Road) Opened October 1993, having been converted from a clothes shop. It closed in 2014, re-opening as a ‘home brew’ shop.
Three Horse Shoes (Chatsworth Road) Can be traced back to 1842 when Joseph Watts was licensee and also a blacksmith, working behind the pub. The beerhouse licence was transferred to newly erected premises in September 1889. The Watts family remained in the pub until the turn of the century. A full licence was granted in 1961, when Samuel Beresford was licensee. He was a long serving tenant, having been landlord 28 years when he died in 1962. The pub sold Home Brewery mild under a trading agreement from the time of Scarsdale’s take over by Whitbread’s in 1958. Another long serving landlord was Fred Tipping who ran the pub from 1962, until his retirement in 1985. A great character who could often be found accompanying the pub pianist on the drums. Unfortunately he died after only five months of retirement. The pub was sold as part of a bulk sale to Tom Cobleigh, who closed the pub for a complete refit, reopening as the Brampton Ale House. The pub was later sold to Thwaites Brewery of Blackburn, and later leased to the Barlow Brewery, who closed the pub in 2020, during the Covid outbreak. The pub was scheduled for demolition as part of the now postponed re-development of the old Robinsons works, it re-opened late 2021.
Prince of Wales (Old Road) Rebuilt 1923 when it belonged to the Brampton Brewery. Its full licence was granted in 1949. The pub closed in 2012, re-opening in May 2013 as the Maison Mes Amis restaurant.
Rose & Crown (Old Road) Bought by John Richdale’s brewery of Sheffield in May 1878 for the sum of £1600. Richdale’s were taken over by Hammonds in 1956, who in turn became part of the Bass Charrington group. The pub was re-built around 1940, at a cost of £3,500, the new building being behind the original, which stood where the car park is now located. After a chequered history of closures and licensee changes it was bought by Everards brewery of Leicester giving the new Brampton Brewery their first pub, under the ‘Project William’ scheme, which gave micro-breweries a chance to have their own tied house. After an extensive re-fit, the pub re-opened late November 2009.
Britannia (Old) (Old Hall Road) This pub can be traced back to 1831. In 1844 Richard Jones was owner and licensee. He was followed by John Lenthall who was licensee for 36 years. During this time he built a running track and a bowling green on adjoining ground. Many major events were held on the track. In 1904 the pub was bought by Wm Stones Ltd for £7,100 from the estate of the late James Hanes, brewer of Sheffield, who had died in 1899. Major alterations were carried out in 1906. Another long tenancy began in 1953 when John Cocking and his wife took over. When he died in November 1986 his wife Edie continued to run the pub until her retirement in July 1987. The pub was then run by ex. boxer Peter Bates who had previously kept the Red Lion on Vicar Lane for many years.
Victoria (Victoria Street West) Unusual for Chesterfield the Victoria was owned by Ind Coope of Burton-on-Trent. Alterations were approved in 1943, which included incorporating ‘inside’ toilets. Its full licence was granted in 1959. Selling Tetley’s for many years, was sold to Wards brewery of Sheffield around 1990, and became part of the Pubmaster chain when Wards eventually closed. Long serving licensee Vernon Greaves kept the pub from 1957 to 1973.
Peacock Inn (Chatsworth Road) Applications to convert to full licence were made as early as 1869, when Francis Elliott was landlord. It was eventually granted the licence in 1954. Sold Stones bitter and Home Brewery mild under a trading agreement, after Scarsdale Brewery were taken over by Whitbread in 1958. Sold to the Tom Cobleigh pub chain in the 1990’s, who later sold off to a Pub Co.
Star Inn (Chatsworth Road) Its full licence was granted in 1949. In 1962 alterations were approved to make two rooms and move the licensees accommodation upstairs. Bought from Whitbread brewery by long serving licensee Brian Dickenson, who retired in 1992 after 31 years in the pub. Still a free house.
Pheasant (New) (Chatsworth Road) Bought in 1873 by the Brampton Brewery, together with 5 adjoining cottages, for £405. A full licence was granted in 1951. The first of two pubs called Pheasant situated close to each other, both pubs belonging to the Brampton Brewery. To prevent confusion, this pub was known as the 'Bottom Pheasant' or 'Gardeners Arms'. The other, the Old Pheasant, was later re-built and renamed the Terminus Hotel. The pub closed and was bought by the Borough Council in 1969 to be demolished together with the terraced row in which it stood, for road improvements. The site is now a car park on the junction of Chatsworth and Storrs Road.
Terminus Hotel (Chatsworth Road) Originally called the Old Pheasant, before being rebuilt in 1906 and renamed the Terminus Hotel. In 1903 land opposite the pub was purchased for use as a bowling green, which remains today. The pub eventually became a John Smiths house, which closed late 2000. Attempts to save the building failed and it was demolished in June 2002, for the construction of flats.
Royal Oak (Brookside) This pub once stood on the Baslow road between what is now Brookside Glen and Brookside Bar. It was in existence in 1828, then called the Appletree Inn. By 1831 its name had changed to Royal Oak. The last record of the pub is in a Trade Directory of 1852. Unconfirmed reports say that the building still existed in to the 1950’s, before being demolished for the erection of the new housing.
The following pubs are not shown on the map as their exact locations are unknown. Some may be temporary name changes or have not been traced as they disappeared long ago.
Miners Arms (Lower Brampton)
The position of this pub is not known, however it appears to have been in the Factory Street area. The pub closed in 1871 when its licence was not renewed. There had been a Coal Miners Arms at Welshpool in 1822, which changed its name to Miners Arms by 1828; and Mallet & Tool by 1829, only to change back to Coal Miners by 1833. Although this pub at one time had a full licence, it must have been removed at some point, for it to continue as a beerhouse (i.e. to sell beer only).
Hammer & Pincers: Licence refused in 1869.
Hare & Hounds: The location of this pub is not known, the address is quoted as Brampton. However, its licence was refused in September 1869, when the owner was the Brampton Brewery Co.
Pig of Lead: Recorded 1864 only, Samuel Lindley was the licensee.
Oddfellows Rest: Thomas Vincent, licensee was charged by the Police in April 1868 (owners G & J Hayes). The pub did not appear in licensing records the following year.
Russell Arms: Licence refused in 1869, Dorothy Hudson was licensee. A further application in 1870 was also rejected.
Sun Inn: Licence refused in 1870 to landlord John Scott, but may have been later reinstated, as a newspaper report of 1874 stated that its landlady was a Mrs Proctor.
Travellers Rest: Advertised in July 1869 – To let Travellers Rest beerhouse, Brampton, apply J Turner, Auctioneer.
NOTE: Af anyone has any old images of the pubs mentioned John and I would love to see them. If you do please get in touch either via email as below.
Words: John Hirst